May is National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month
Each year, the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) declares May to be “National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month”. It’s a peak season for asthma and allergy sufferers, and a perfect time to educate your patients, family, friends, co-workers and others about these diseases.
Many asthma and allergy sufferers wear a medical ID bracelet or necklace in order to be able to communicate the condition during an emergency. This information is imperative to paramedic’s and everyday good Samaritan’s efforts to be able to help provide the care needed quickly and effectively.
American Medical ID provides top quality medical alert ID bracelets and necklaces with free engraving and fantastic customer service!
Awareness Month Events
Here are a few events for 2013:
- Sweepstakes—each month, AAFA hosts an online Sweepstakes to give away Certified asthma & allergy friendly™ products. Visit www.aafa.org/sweepstakes for more details!
- Free Webinar—join Kids With Food Allergies on April 30 for a live discussion about why access to epinephrine in schools is important to children who are at risk for anaphylaxis. Find out what actions you can take now to promote appropriate use of epinephrine in schools. Click here to register for Epinephrine in Schools: What You Need to Know.|
- Poster Contest—EPA would like to invite 3rd-8th graders in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin to participate in the Asthma Awareness Poster Contest which aims to promote asthma awareness among children, parents and school faculty. Students will create a drawing or painting that illustrates different aspects of the condition, including asthma management, triggers, and medication. All entries must be received by Friday, May 10. For more information see http://www.epa.gov/region5/asthmapostercontest/
- Share your photos! Kids With Food Allergies, a division of AAFA, will be holding its annual “Faces of Food Allergies” awareness photo sharing campaign May 13-17 in partnership with Applegate Farms, Lucy’s cookies and Allermates. Families are invited to share their children’s photos enjoying life to show that their food allergies don’t hold them back. Visit www.kidswithfoodallergies.org to share your child’s photo and be eligible to win gifts from the sponsors.
- Ditch the Drip—AAFA, along with three-time Olympic gold medalist Misty May-Treanor and Teva Respiratory will be in Memphis on May 16-18. Visit the Ditch the Drip booth at the Memphis in May International Festival to talk about nasal allergy awareness and enter to win a free Dyson vacuum!
- Disney Vacations Fundraiser—From now until June 2013, mention “KFA” in your quote request for your Disney vacation and 4% of the total package price will be donated to Kids With Food Allergies! Click here to book your trip today.
- Dancing for a Cause—AAFA supporters at the Dayton Dance Conservatory are raising awareness and collecting funds for AAFA at their upcoming 37th Annual Late Spring Recital on June 9. Visit www.daytondanceconservatory.com for more information.
- Nominate a star! Show your appreciation to those who are helping raise awareness of severe allergies – celebrate them by including them in Sanofi’s Severe Allergy Awareness Hall of Fame! Sanofi US will donate $5 to advocacy organizations focused on severe allergies—including AAFA—up to a total of $100,000. Thank someone today!
For more information, visit the AAFA website here.