March is American Red Cross Month.
The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization that provides emergency assistance, disaster relief and education inside the United States. It is the designated U.S. affiliate of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
Today, in addition to domestic disaster relief, the American Red Cross offers services in five other areas: community services that help the needy; communications services and comfort for military members and their family members; the collection, processing and distribution of blood and blood products; educational programs on preparedness, health, and safety; and international relief and development programs.
The American Red Cross is a nationwide network of more than 650 chapters and 36 blood services regions dedicated to saving lives and helping people prepare for and respond to medical emergencies.
Approximately 500,000 Red Cross volunteers, including Femacorps and Americorps members, and 30,000 employees annually mobilize relief to people affected by more than 67,000 disasters, train almost 12 million people in necessary medical skills and exchange more than a million emergency messages for U.S. military service personnel and their family members. The Red Cross is the largest supplier of blood and blood products to more than 3,000 hospitals nationally and also assists victims of international disasters and conflicts at locations worldwide.
As a nationwide non-profit with a rich history spanning more than 130 years, the Red Cross depends on the generous contributions of time, blood and money from the American public to support its lifesaving services and programs.
Here are ways you can help:
- Online – Visit RedCross.org & donate once or set up a monthly donation.
- Text – Text REDCROSS to 90999 to give $10
- Call – To donate by phone via credit card, call 1-800-733-2767
- Corporate Support – Purchase products and support programs that benefit disaster relief or other important services.
- Mail – Please make checks payable to American Red Cross and send to: American Red Cross, PO Box 4002018, Des Moines, IA 50340-2018
- Airline Miles – You can put your unused miles to work for the Red Cross through the generosity of several major airlines
- Credit Card Points – Many card members can redeem points and donate them to the American Red Cross for cash donations
- Hotel Points – Donated points assist in providing temporary shelter for those displaced from their homes during disasters.
The need for blood is constant and your contribution is important for a healthy and reliable blood supply. Donate today, you’ll feel good knowing you’ve helped change a life!
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether it’s one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran, or support to a military family member, their vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that they can do extraordinary things.
In many Emergency Reference Guides, from Babysitter’s Guides to Wilderness and Remote First Aid, the Red Cross reminds people to look for a medical ID bracelet or necklace when providing emergency care. A medical ID provides important information about a person’s condition, medications, and allergies.