Food Allergy Bullying: It’s Real and It’s Not a Joke
Brought to you by our friends at FARE, Food Allergy Research & Education:
Food allergy bullying is a growing problem in schools across the country. About a third of kids with food allergies report that they have been bullied specifically because of their allergies.
FARE’s “It’s Not a Joke” Campaign can help you learn more about food allergies and how you can prevent food allergy bullying. Watch our PSA below and scroll down to learn more about how you can help make a difference.
Find out what you can do
- Help raise awareness by sharing the full PSA as well as the 30 second clip. You can also help spread the word by sharing our “It’s Not a Joke” resources with your communities and online.
- Read these tips about how you can prevent and address food allergy bullying.
- Read real world accounts of two teens, Colin and Carlo, who have experienced food allergy bullying.
- Educate yourself and others about food allergies and the laws that protect those with food allergies from harassment.
- Find other resources for addressing bullying at stopbullying.gov and violencepreventionworks.org.
For teens with food allergies
Nearly half the time, kids with food allergies do not tell their parents they have been bullied. If you’re a teen experiencing bullying, we encourage you to talk to your parents about what’s happening. You can also connect with other teens with food allergies for support.
For members of the media
Please visit the FARE Press Room page for a media kit and contact information.
About the PSA
The “It’s Not a Joke” PSA is intended to help raise awareness about the serious, potentially life-threatening nature of food allergies, and the dangers of food allergy bullying. Unfortunately, because many people do not understand the potentially deadly nature of this disease, what can be seen as a prank is actually very harmful and potentially very dangerous. The PSA voiceover was provided by teen actor and former Shake It Up star Kenton Duty, who has publicly shared his own story of living with food allergies and being bullied because of his allergies. We hope this PSA will help raise awareness of food allergies and anaphylaxis, and help adults and teens across the country know that they can play an important role in preventing food allergy bullying.
American Medical ID is a proud partner of FARE and dedicated to providing top quality medical ID bracelets and necklaces to those with severe food allergies. In an emergency, a medical ID can provide life saving information about your allergy in order to get you the proper care you need.
Tags: allergic reaction, allergy bracelet, allergy bullying, anaphylaxis, dairy allergy, FARE, food allergy, food allergy anaphylaxis, medical alert bracelet, medical ID, Medical ID Bracelet, medical ID for allergies, peanut allergy, severe food allergy, soy allergy, treenut allergy